“What do I want instead of a Strong Female Character? I want a male:female character ratio of 1:1 instead of 3:1 on our screens. I want a wealth of complex female protagonists who can be either strong or weak or both or neither, because they are more than strength or weakness. Badass gunslingers and martial artists sure, but also interesting women who are shy and quiet and do, sometimes, put up with others’ shit because in real life there’s often no practical alternative. And besides heroines, I want to see women in as many and varied secondary and character roles as men: female sidekicks, mentors, comic relief, rivals, villains. I want not to be asked, when I try to sell a book about two girls, two boys and a genderless robot, if we couldn’t change one of those girls to a boy.”
- First watching RENT: ..... What are they SAYING?!
- Watching RENT now: TO DAYS OF INSPIRATION PLAYING HOOKEY MAKING SOMETHING OUT OF NOTHING THE NEED TO EXPRESS TO COMMUNICATE TO GOING AGAINST THE GRAIN GOING INSANE GOING MAAAAADDDD
friendly reminder that Harry Potter
- at eleven, was described by his teachers as ‘bright’
- at the same age, according to the Sorting Hat: “Not a bad mind, either. There’s talent, oh my goodness, yes” and “You could be great, you know, it’s all here in your head”
- mastered the challenging Patronus Charm at thirteen and proceeded to teach it at fifteen
- resisted the Imperius Curse at fourteen and soon learned to throw it off completely, even when cast by the incredibly powerful Voldemort
- also at fourteen, learned to cast a powerful Accio Charm
- at fifteen, was training other students
- at the same age, under extreme stress, tested as ‘exceeds expectations’ or ‘outstanding’ in every subject that required actual magic (including the dreaded Potions)
- same age, cast a briefly effective Cruciatus Curse
- at sixteen, became a star Potions student simply by following superior instructions
- at seventeen, successfully cast the Imperius Curse on his first try, and used it repeatedly
- at the same age, cast a successful Cruciatus Curse
#god almighty!!!!!! #this post??? is e v e r y t h i n g #it addresses all of my pet peeves in fandom regarding harry #people refuse to acknowledge how bright and talented harry really is #its such a joke tbh #they point to his average academics as if that is a true measure of intelligence #all the while disregarding the stressful situations he’s put in and horrible teachers that hinder his learning #people have adopted snapes mentality when judging harrys intelligence and its utterly belittling #snape purposely gives shitty instructions and literally fucking sabotages harrys work in his class #and puts him in a fake remedial potions class to humiliate him in front of his peers #and fandom? they gobble it up and laugh about how shitty harry is at potions #but when harry gets legitimately good instructions from snapes old textbook for the first time in his potions career #under a teacher who is not abusive but actually encouraging? #he fucking thrives #snape had been keeping innovational and helpful potions instructions from his students for YEARS #so apart from being a shitty person he was also a shitty teacher #anyways~ #harry is extremely bright and talented and powerful for his age #love and forgiveness were not his only ~powers~ #or the reason he survived so long #ty for this gr9 post op (via ginevvra)
Morning friends, I have super long day of back to back class and work, so today is gonna be rough.
Also, sudden and intense urge to do a Winter Soldier cosplay and it’s all maroonpantaloons fault.
would anyone be interested in another Les Mis Halloween Candy Exchange this year?
IF YOU’D BE INTERESTED IN THIS LEAVE A MESSAGE IN MY INBOX AND I’LL ADD YOU TO THE LIST OF INTERESTED FOLKS
It’s only going to happen if I get enough people, so if you want this to be a thing, SAY SO
….my sister asked me to go to the other side of the living room and talk so she could test the voice recorder she wants to use for her lectures, so naturally I just started spouting off To Be or Not to Be.
….I’m a huge fucking nerd.
ive always thought the most revealing line hamlet says about himself (besides “o, what an ass am i”) is the “o i could be bounded in a nutshell and call myself king of infinite space, if it were not that i have bad dreams” bit. because it outlines his Problem so simply, or maybe just because it always feels to me like my problem. “i could do anything, i could do anything i wanted to or that anyone else wanted me to, if i wasn’t hecked up from the neck up”
Besides “if i wasn’t hecked up from the neck up” being the greatest phrase ever, this post is also Very Important because you do see Hamlet slipping here from pretending to be insane to actually talking about problems he has. It’s like halfway through To Be where he goes from being ~dramatic~ to stopping and saying that he is terrified of death and the afterlife, and confiding in the audience his fears.
It’s brilliant. We as the audience are also being duped by Hamlet and we don’t even realize it. Except, unlike his family being tricked into thinking he’s insane, we are being tricked into thinking that he’s dealing with things fine mentally and emotionally ever since the ghost showed up. It’s only in the little moments where he slips from acting mad to genuinely expressing the problems he’s having that we begin to realize Hamlet’s true mental state. He’s a clinically depressed teenager crying out for help with nobody hearing him, resorting to dropping hints and hiding behind jokes. To the audience. He is begging us to help him, and even we who have witnessed everything can’t even hear him.
Brilliant, but so so sad.
wa1tzofanoma1ies replied to your post “Very cute boy fitted me with my fencing gear, I’m so pleased.”
grumpyfaceurn replied to your post “Very cute boy fitted me with my fencing gear, I’m so pleased.”
Wow, fencing! How cool!
Yesssssssssssss I am taking a fencing class this quarter and I am SO PUMPED about it omg